Did You Know? Your Library Offers a Free Online Book Club?
How It Works
Pinnacle Library Cooperative* has partnered with PBC Guru to create a virtual book club for patrons and the community covering lifelong learning, personal growth, fiction, non-fiction, and other genres participants are interested in. The book club will connect through a private forum where all participants can discuss the current book and network with each other.
- The book club will read one book every two to three months, so you’ll have plenty of time for each book.
- There are no membership or subscription fees. Joining the book club is completely free!
- As a Pinnacle Library Cooperative cardholder you will have access to download an eBook of each reading selection for free!
- Non-library cardholders can join the book club at no cost but are responsible for obtaining a copy of the selected books via their preferred vendor or method
- Don’t have a card? Sign up online for a free eLibrary card here.
Want to join now?
Make your plan for how you will get our first book. Pinnacle Library Cooperative cardholders will have access to an eBook through Freading for each book selection. All other participants or library patrons who prefer a different format can search for a copy of the book through their home Pinnacle library website, or can obtain a physical copy through their preferred provider/retailer.
Not yet convinced? Here are 3 reasons to join!
1. Increase Your Connection to the Pinnacle Library Cooperative Community: Our facilitated book club will broaden your connection to new ideas while also introducing you to members of your community from across industries, generations, and geographies. The connections and friends you make may help you find your next opportunity or assist you in reaching your goals.
2. Embrace Lifelong Learning and Growth: Get exposed to titles you might not typically read. Gain new perspectives through engaging and thought-provoking online discussions. Increase your access to dynamic learning and personal growth opportunities when it fits your individual schedule.
3. Reading is Good for You: Reading can reduce stress, help you sleep better, and improve your relationships . Did we mention it also makes you smarter? Reading increases your verbal intelligence, reasoning ability, emotional intelligence, and your creativity. It has even proven to defend against Alzheimers .
1 The Expert Editor, 2016, https://experteditor.com.au/blog/brain-books-benefits-reading/
2 Harvard Business Review, 2012, https://hbr.org/2012/08/for-those-who-want-to-lead-rea/
Frequently Asked Questions
How often will books be read, what is the time commitment and what are the expectations?
We plan to start the book club by reading one book every two to three months. The texts selected will be lifelong learning, personal growth, fiction, non-fiction, and other genres and take an average of nine hours to read cover to cover. If you have between 1 and 2 hours a week to read you should be fine.
Will there be any in-person meetings of the book club?
No, the book club will be entirely online. You can participate anywhere you have Internet access and on days and times that are convenient to you.
Is there any cost to participate?
Participation is free for everyone!
How do I get the books?
Pinnacle Library Cooperative cardholders will have access to an eBook through Freading for each book selection. All other participants or library patrons who prefer a different format can search for a copy of the book through their Home Library website, or get a physical copy through another preferred provider/retailer.
How does this book club discussions work?
The book club will have a moderator from PBC Guru who manages the forum where discussions occur online. The moderator will pose questions to the book club, share relevant articles and facilitate conversation about topics in the book. Members will be encouraged to post and share as well. This format allows for ongoing conversation and makes it easy for readers to connect with each other through the forum.
How do I make a forum profile?
We’re using a private forum to host the virtual book club so it’s easy to connect with the community. During our sign up process, you will enter the information to auto-generate your free profile. After you complete the sign up, we’ll send you a link to the forum and you can begin to post right away!
What exactly is PBC Guru and what do they have to do with the book club?
Professional Book Club (PBC) Guru is a book club management company that works with businesses, alumni associations, libraries, and professional societies. We are teaming up with PBC to put this program in place for patrons and the community. You can check out their website at www.pbc.guru if you want to see more of what they do.
I’ve already signed up. How do I log in?
If you are already a member, you can click here to log in.
What if my question isn’t answered?
Feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help.
*What is the Pinnacle Library Cooperative?
The Pinnacle Library Cooperative is a collaboration of the following libraries:
- Fountaindale Public Library District
- Joliet Public Library
- Lemont Public Library District
- Plainfield Public Library District
- Shorewood-Troy Public Library District
- White Oak Library District
This cooperative holds an impressive amount of library materials. In fact, our six library organizations collectively hold over 1,340,000 items. These libraries are geographically connected and have a long history of working together to provide the very best service to our patrons.